The Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs for Viacom Media Networks will provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services for this group in either New York or Los Angeles, on primarily BET Networks branded programming, with a focus on unscripted development and production. This person is expected to be an operational leader on high-level deals and projects and handle a heavy volume of development and production matters relating to both “in-house” and third party productions.
The Group’s business and legal affairs department handles development and production work for unscripted programming, news programming, tent-poles and works closely with the networks’ Development and Production Management teams as well as many other departments (including Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Pre-Broadcast Content Review, Intellectual Property & Litigation and Accounting/Finance).
- Primary duties will include structuring, drafting and negotiating complex development and production agreements (e.g., rights acquisition, producer, writer, production services, and talent agreements, format licenses, venue and location releases, etc.)
- Performing and/or supervising day-to-day legal production work for presentations, pilots, specials and series, and advising and consulting with clients and outside production companies regarding production-related legal matters (including guild, union and other employment law issues)
- Reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management
- Participating in and contributing to strategic deal discussions and researching relevant business and legal issues; providing complex risk assessment for production-related matters; advising and communicating with various other departments within Viacom Media Networks regarding exploitation of original programming across all media platforms
- Counseling the client groups on a wide variety of other legal matters, including guild/union and labor issues, intellectual property rights, off-channel marketing and promotions, insurance, product integrations, online and music issues
- Performing other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related duties
- Qualified candidates must be members of the New York and/or California Bar(s) with at least 10+ years of relevant experience (ideally with a minimum of 8 years of business/legal affairs experience in a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company environment)
- Comprehensive working knowledge of television industry agreements, guild and union regulations (WGA, DGA and SAG-AFTRA), contract law and intellectual property rights (as applicable to the entertainment industry) is required, along with demonstrated capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills are also a must
Internal Number: 2019-11971
Viacom is home to premier global media brands that create compelling entertainment content - including television programs, motion pictures, short-form content, games, consumer products, podcasts, live events and social media experiences - for audiences in more than 180 countries on various platforms and devices.
Globally, Viacom Media Networks reach approximately 4.3 billion cumulative television subscribers through leading brands including Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central, Paramount Network (SPIKE), VH1, TV Land, CMT and Logo. Program services created specifically for international audiences include Channel 5 (U.K.), Telefe (Argentina), Colors (India) and Paramount Channel.
BACK TO TOP
National Association of Women Lawyers® Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else NAWL has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at National Association of Women Lawyers® Career Center.
National Association of Women Lawyers®
American Bar Center MS 19.1, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654 T: 312.988.6186 F: 312.932.6450 email@example.com