Come join our growing legal team of three lawyers! You’ll work hand in hand with our business team to close deals and accelerate our sales cycle. You’ll ensure our contracts are clear and fair while keeping negotiations efficient, and you’ll be a key advisor to our sales and business development teams.
Mapbox is growing fast. We power the maps for sites and applications like The Weather Channel, Foursquare and CNN, and we’re rapidly expanding our customer base. Our platform enables drone companies to publish imagery, real estate sites to visualize properties, satellite companies to deliver cloud-free imagery, and insurance companies to analyze assets. We want to be a leader in all of these markets by making the building blocks that change how people move around cities, understand our planet, and relate to location.
Mapbox’s legal team touches every aspect of the company. We translate Mapbox’s business partnerships into writing, protect Mapbox’s values, and work with the finance, operations, business, and product teams to manage risk across the company. This is a high-growth, interdisciplinary position – you’ll be expected to learn every day and become (if you’re not already) conversant in tech, policy, and finance, as well as law.
Interested, but have more experience? Check out our Senior Commercial Counsel opening!
- Draft, review and negotiate Mapbox’s customer agreements and advise on strategic partnerships.
- Support Mapbox’s data acquisitions, in-licenses and other inbound agreements.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Sales, Business Development and Product teams, balancing business objectives and legal risk.
- Manage and maintain template agreements, contract playbooks and sales process.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP and privacy laws, and other developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
Your first three months
- Become deeply familiar with our products. Understanding our products, in-licenses and how we operate is essential to success in this position.
- Become a fully capable Mapbox negotiator. Become capable of independently handling sales negotiations from start to finish (with plenty of support from the rest of the legal team along the way!).
- Begin working on improving our processes and procedures. As you deepen your understanding of existing systems, you’ll take on responsibility for helping improving and documenting our processes. At the beginning, this will primarily take the form of organizing and developing template in-licenses and sales contracts and will grow to include other aspects of legal operations, such as developing playbooks for the sales and data acquisition teams.
What you bring
- JD and admission to a state bar.
- At least three years’ combined experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts. Startup, SaaS, and prior in-house experience are a major plus.
- Excellent communication skills. Your writing is clear, concise, and actionable.
- An efficient, cooperative negotiation style. You understand the business deal so you know what matters and what doesn’t. You help negotiations feel like partnerships. You add value through creative problem-solving. And you’re never the bottleneck to closing.
- Fire, compassion, and a sense of humor. Your clients love working with you and gain confidence from having you in their corner.
- Attention to detail. You know that an errant phrase can become a business liability. You write bug-free legal documents.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Hindi, German, and/or Mandarin Chinese.
- Developer cred. Send us a website or app you built with Mapbox, or submit a pull request to one of our open source projects.
Joining the team
Click apply and include a note explaining why you’re interested and why you’re a great fit. Communication is critical, so your note should give us a sense of how you write.
Sound interesting, but not sure you tick all the boxes? Please apply - we emphasize teaching and learning at Mapbox, and there’s tons of room to grow.
We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team. We encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.